As usual, for 2017, Gartner has compiled a list of 10 technological trends, and this year the spotlights are even more focused on connected objects that are becoming more autonomous and able to analyze changes in the surrounding environment in a way that responds and adapts in real time.
In the report, technologies are grouped into three main areas: intelligence, digital and mesh, and then broken down into individual components: for businesses, it will be vitally important to invest in some of these solutions in order to gain a competitive edge and remain in step with the times.
The 10 technologies on which the spotlights are focused can be described as follows:
- AI and Advanced Machine Learning (ML): more and more autonomous machines, because they can understand, learn, anticipate and adapt to real-time situations.
- Intelligent Apps: They will target virtual personal assistants (VPAs), virtual assistants that replace human ones as they are capable of carrying out the same daily activities and addressing priority interactions and content. Moving in this direction, the emergence of “virtual customer assistants” (VCA) is not so far away. These are virtual assistants specializing in sales and customer service and Gartner reports that they will increasingly be used by companies to offer better services and user experience.
- Intelligent Things: robots, drones and autonomous vehicles will be the protagonists at home, in the office, in any context, and will be increasingly evolving and becoming autonomous by integrating AI systems.
- Virtual & Augmented Reality: Virtual reality and increased reality will change the way people interact with the software. They will no longer only be used in video games and they will be able to involve all the senses.
- Digital Twin: This a virtual representation of a product or system. The physical product is connected to the sensors that once collected information, such as those, for example, its status, and then send it to its digital twin so that it can optimize its operation. According to Cearley, within five years, millions of objects will have their own digital twin that organizations can exploit for planning production processes, preventing equipment failures, improve product development, and much more.
- Blockchain: This is a distributed database, designed to register safely and with the ability to verify and not alter, transactions or contracts between two or more parts. It is used mainly in the banking and financial fields – it is the basis of transactions with virtual currency – but with its potential discovered, will begin to be used in more and more sectors. For now, however, it is still in beta phase due to the variety of platforms and standards. Consulthink presented an innovative project in 2016 based on Blockchain technology: “Blockchain for LOGICAL SERVICES (BLOGS)”. This is the creation of an innovative platform for logistics services that integrates traditional components with blockchain-based components for smartcontract generation. In this project Consulthink has moved away from the classic use of Blockchain’s financial focus as it has aimed at creating a system that optimizes planning flows and logistic service management processes by reducing co-ordination and transaction costs among all the actors in the supply chain. The focus was on the integration of Marketplace technologies (for logistical demand / supply) and Distributed Ledger (Blockchain) technologies for the creation of an innovative logistics system in the urban environment based on a new collaborative management procedural model, decentralized and distributed. The main role of Consulthink within the project is to take care of the security of the architectural component by analyzing it to identify all the actors involved, the data they can exchange, and then the threats the system can encounter.
- Conversational System: Switch between machines (smartphones, PCs, tablets) and users. If you have always had the user adapt to the device through text or voice commands, it will soon be the opposite: devices will adapt to the user’s natural language, listening to them, learning them and responding more accurately.
- Mesh App and Service Architecture (MASA): In the MASA model, apps of various types (mobile, web, desktop, IoT, etc.) interconnect in a wide network of back-end services, to create what the Users see it as “the application”. By doing this, users, regardless of the underlying technology, can access and enjoy data and services from different devices optimally and consistently.
- Digital Technology Platforms: Each company must be provided with these platforms focusing on 5 elements: information systems, customer experience, analytical and intelligence technologies, IoT and business ecosystems. The best way to accomplish this system integration has not yet been realized, but we are working on it with great diligence.
- Adaptive Security Architecture: More and more complex systems that deal with more and more data, means that security becomes an element that cannot be underestimated. Existing security technologies already exist, these must be implemented. At the same time, it will also be necessary to monitor how users and digital entities behave in order to identify new areas of vulnerability so that they can develop new security solutions. Consulthink is a leading security company and evaluates system and platform security through specialized vulnerability assessment and penetration testing services. The R & D unit also aims to prevent threats so that it can immediately be protected from both endpoint and network threats.